Thursday, August 10, 2017

Introduction

Two apartment buildings are being built in downtown Downers Grove.

A sign indicates this will be Burlington Station. But I'll call this site the Forest site because BS doesn't sound very nice.
Satellite
It was a West Suburban Bank by Forest Avenue and the tracks (image at right). The bank built a building off Main Street (image below). This move is probably evidence of how important visible drive-through facilities are for today's people-on-the-go.

Satellite

LiveInDowners


Maple&Main
The other site is at Maple&Main and, in fact, it is called Maple&Main. I'll call this the M&M site. They bought the first house along Maple street and used its property, along with the parking lot on the corner, for the site. The next house or so along Maple had already been torn down to build a pile of condos. They are still doing finish work on the condo building.

Satellite
I took my first photos of the Forest site while killing time when I was railfanning at Forest.

Looking south from the tracks.
20170528 8811
 Looking along the west wall from Gilbert Avenue.

For this view, I turned a little bit to my right to see the rest of what was visible from the construction entrance.

One of my daughters told me that all I have to do is walk a half-hour each day. Since it takes about a half-hour to visit these two sites, I decided to start taking some regular pictures of the construction. After a couple of days, I was sore. So my daughter was right --- I need to walk some each day. Lately I've been doing a couple a visits most days because they are erecting prefabricated concrete at the M&M site and things change quickly. It is not unusual to spend hours at these sites. A half-hour does not make me sore, but hours a day still does. A problem is that I have already taken over 3000 pictures. The pictures also include trains that go by on the Racetrack (BNSF) and other construction projects that I have seen on my walks, including the replacement of my own driveway. So I started this new blog in hopes that I can get this pile of pictures annotated so that I can find pictures when I want to write about a topic in my main blog such as pumping concrete.

All photos in this blog are licensed "CC BY," which means you can copy them freely as long as you acknowledge Dennis DeBruler as the photographer. As a courtesy, I ask you to send me a copy/link/reference of where they were used to bruler <capital 2> xnet <period> <three letter word that means commercial>.


(next)

No comments:

Post a Comment