Saturday, August 12, 2017

20170623 Coal Train and Tower Crane

(If you are new to this blog, please start at the beginning and follow the "next" link at the bottom of each post.)

I hadn't started my regular walks yet. I was on my way to  the library I got caught by an eastbound coal train at Main Street. This is the triple track BNSF/CB&Q mainline between Aurora and Chicago that Trains Magazine includes in their top ten list of railfan spots in the country. I won't wait for a commuter or Amtrak train, but if I see the headlights of a freight, I will wait to get the engines and see what type of freight train it is. If it is a unit train, I'll get some cars to show what type of freight it is and the last car to get a time stamp.
20170623 9525  3:35:10



June 23 is during Downers Grove's festival weekend. That is why there are carnival rides in the background.

I didn't notice it at the time or I would have taken close up. There were three bathtub gondolas in that train. That means this train must be going to a place that has a rotary dumper. I'm going to have to pay closer attention to the coal trains because I had given up on finding any. They have been replaced by cars that have rotary couplers but that also can be dumped with longitudinal hopper doors.
Above photo at camera resolution
3:37:42


 Since Forest site had a tower crane, I walked around the building to get a set of pictures of it.
 I have already discussed this crane because it is parked in weather vane mode.


That is a big bucket for such a little excavator. It was rented for a specific job. The green lift on the left is always on this site and is used for all sorts of material handling jobs.
 When I heard the crossing gates activate, I trotted back to Forest to get pictures.
 But it was just yet another commuter.

(next)

No comments:

Post a Comment