Monday, October 30, 2017

20170727 Mixed freight with six BN green hoppers

I took about 150 photos on the 27th, so I'm posting the mixed freight separately. You will notice that if I see a BN Cascade Green car, I try to grab a closeup of it. The track speed limit for freights is 45mph, and this freight was probably at the speed limit. So it was kinda tricky trying to grab the closeups so most are not "railfan quality." Nonetheless, they are proof of existence and provide modelers examples of how the color fades. Two cars of note are a grey BN hopper and a Santa Fe hopper.

1:42:12 Gates are going down.

 Both are in the old paint scheme and the #4937 is turning from orange to pink.
 #4535  C44-9W built 1999
 #4937  C44-9W built 1998

 Steel plates is an unusual load for the Racetrack




 No idea why I turned for another shot. The tank car does not have a haxmat placard.

 Obey, two green ones in a row are coming.
The graffiti vandal left the BN logo but destroyed the car number. Is that because he knew BNSF would have to repaint the number, but they did not have to repaint the logo? Note that someone restored the digits by hand painting them.
I wonder what the original color of this car was. I did not know BN had any grey cars.
The redish car is an unpatched ATSF car with the original Santa Fe logo.


Faded, but no graffiti. If I rotate it horizontal with Gimp, I'm at least close to railfan quality.
Why the railroads don't put the required reporting mark and car number at the very top instead of the bottom of the car still puzzles me.




That is the first coil car I have seen that is labeled as such.


Four boxcars is a rather long cut for the Racetrack. As you can see, the mixed freights through here are generally about a third hopper, a third tankers, and a third everything else.
I believe this is the type of door that closes so that the wall is "flush" or smooth on the inside.

I see some placard holders, but I don't think they have a card in them.





Here come the hazardous tankers.
1203 is a new one for me and 3257: 131 Nitriles, poisonous, flammable, n.o.s.
1203 128 Gasohol
1203
128 Gasoline
1203
128 Motor spirit
1203
128 Petrol

The block of 3257 tankers was big enough that they would not fit in one shot. Then we got a 1075s (115 Butane)
I've never seen a flatcar with low bulkheads and side bracing. Too bad it is empty because I would have liked to see what type of load this car was designed for.

I took a closeup of the steel plates because steel loads are uncommon on the Racetrack.

I can't read the number, but the card is white with a black stripe above and below the number. But I don't see that design in the reference chart I have found.
And the train ends with some air-pressure differential hoppers.
The first car has the lettering (commas indicate new line): "DO NOT CLEAN WITH STEAM, OR BOILING WATER, Int. Hempel Epoxy 37300, Ext. Hemped Epoxy 374US, 07-16 NSC"

(next)

No comments:

Post a Comment